I am going to take a chance here to do something I have never done and Â publicly share my goals for 2013. Â I figure the best way to be accountable for my goals is to post them publicly! Â Any feedback is appreciated â€” some of these goals seem easier to me than others, and some will take more guts than others. Â The hidden goal underlying this list of goals is to maintain drive and passion for what I am doing.
1. Finish grad school. Doing my research and writing my thesis will take me all year. I really have to buckle down early if I want to have enough data to start writing by the fall. Â My project involves culturing a few Archaea from our boiling acid hot spring sites in Yellowstone, and screening these cultures for new virus species.
2. Travel to Alaska. This is my final state to get all 50, and I need to go this year to meet my goal of all the states before I turn 30! Travel recommendations anyone?
3.Â Have a kick ass wedding. I’m getting married this year and I want the wedding to be the funnest (yes, I’ve been told this is not a word) party ever! Â While I am not doing a majority of the planning, I do want to ensure good music, and a stellar atmosphere so our friends can have a blast!
4.Â AcquireÂ a second piece of real estate. This may be the most challenging goal, given that the previous goal will use up most of my capital. Â I will have to figure out a way to do this with little or no money… Suggestions accepted!
5.Â Start an online business.Â One of my goals for 2014 is to move to the south of France. Â To do this means I need to have a portable source of income. Â In addition to my coaching, I aim to develop an online business that will generate monthly income. Â This will likely be an online store related to cycling.
6. Help people get their dream jobs/do what they love.Â In 2012 I helped friends, athletes, and former students define their dream jobs, network with people who make hiring decisions, practice interviews, and strategize self marketing. Â It turns out, this is a lot of fun. Â I plan to help more people get what they want in 2013!
7. Build a team ofÂ advisers. The richest men in American history realized that success requires relying on a group of expert partners. Â This year I plan to begin to assemble my team of partners andÂ advisersÂ in the fields of: cycling coaching, small business ownership, real estate, accounting, blogging, science marketing, science policy, and popular science writing.
8.Â Grow my blog. Since I have started writing this blog a couple months ago, I have found more clarity of thought and action. Â The positive comments from readers encourages me to promote and grow this blog into a community.
9. Let love flow!Â Here is the cheesy one… in 2012 I learned through much introspection that I am a highly emotional person. Â I get choked up when I listen to great musical lyrics or see beautiful art. Â I am continually amazed by the incredible people I meet. I like yelling on the tops of mountains. Â Winning bike races gives me goosebumps. Â In 2013 I will attempt to stop repressing my expression of my joy and love of life. Â This scares the hell out of me, but I think will make me happy!
Good luck with all of your goals in 2013! Â If you think I can help you achieve them, please send me a note!