During grad school I found myself teaching a microbiology laboratory class, which usually involved a brief lecture and then a couple hours of experiments. At the end of each semester the students would grade the instructors on how well we did. My first two semesters I was given a 4.5/5 overall rating. During my third semester of teaching, with the exact same course material, 120 students gave me a 4.98/5 overall rating. What had changed?
At some point I began to study the science of charisma and projecting competence. I added specific techniques to my teaching style which changed was how I was acting while teaching. Over the last few years I have made a personal inquiry into body language, social dynamics, competence, and charisma. Iâ€™m a deep thinker who wants to engage with people more. I actively experiment and test new ideas during my podcast, in social situations, during talks and presentations, and when meeting new people.
My goals are to train charisma skills to the point where everyone perceives them to be natural talent rather than something I had to work to get. Vanessa Van Edwards, founder of â€œScience of People,â€ told me in an interview that up to 93% of communication can be non-verbal. This means that we give off lots of signals without even being aware. The first step then is to understand which signals we give off and become aware of what we are broadcasting.
What you will learn in this episode:
- What are charismatic speech patterns and how you can train your voice
- How your posture effects your hormone levels and how to power pose to boost confidence
- The power of touch and host to connect with people listening to you
- The way to make confident eye contact
- How to connect with your own mission to get other people on board with you
- How to transfer confidence form one domain to another
- How to gain inner confidence that radiates out
- How to use empathy to connect with people and project warmth
This podcast is supported by listeners like you!Â Become a patron of the Art of Adventure on Patreon
You might also like these episodes:
AOA 081 | Vanessa Van Edwards | The Body Language Of Great First Impressions
AOA 087 | Stephanie Burns | Unreasonable Requests
AOA 140 | How to Talk Your Way Into Anything
AOA 114 | Be Your Own Hero
AOA 059 | Millionaire Mindset: Habits For A Rich Life